Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Culture shocks

Vientiane is very different from the rest of Laos. The dirt of roads replaced by the pollution of cars. Instead of motorcycles, it is full of cars, especially brand new pickups and some European cars, like Mercedes and I saw even one Mini. On the way from Vang Vieng I saw many car stores, with huge displays. Like other poor countries in the world, a few people got very rich very fast, and Vientiane looks like their playground.

Back are the Thailand like mini marts, but better, with fresh baguettes, a huge variety and even Lindt dark chocolate (99%! Costs like a night in my guest house, 5$). The difference and problem of Western style life is striking after being away from a big city: You have so many options, but, on the other hand, you have to contemplate more, making a simple life more confusing.

What more? Traffic lights, a huge variety of restaurants and even one skyscraper, blue lit during the night. Prices are higher, forcing me to walk quite a bit to find my local places, where I can eat for more reasonable prices. In contrast, some products' prices are a bit low, as it costs less to bring them here. Guest houses remind the ones in Bangkok, demanding you pay each day in advance and with many posted signs, stating a lot of do's and do not's at their perimeters, as bad experiences with the 'party tourists' have probably taught them. I went to one place recommended by the Lonely Planet book, but it was full. I checked the place next door, where two good humored women from the staff captivated me (anyone can spell F.O.X.?) and rooms that were very clean, though small, were enough to make this place my roof for the next days In Nepal I started picking a place also according to their staff, even if the place is not perfect, but I forgot about it in the last month...

I met a girl who just came from Bangkok, so for her Vientiane is so peaceful. For me it seems like a noisy place compared to what I had until now. Go figure...

In a few more days I will experience my next culture shock. Nepal, Thailand and Vietnam are what I call the "60 million countries" as their population is around sixty something million people. Laos, on the other hand, has only about six million. One digit, huge difference. So I'm heading to a 60 million country again. Yikes!

No comments: