Sunday, February 11, 2007

Yet another Asian country

Yesterday I arrived to Phnom Penh, Cambodia's capital. It is a new country for me, so it different and yet the same. The bad road we took reminded me of Laos, the language written looks like Thai and the traffic reminds that of Vietnam. I believe I'm beginning to have enough of it for now.

I don't have much time left in Asia and thus the will to really get into the culture is not as strong as before. In addition, traveling in Vietnam made me tired and coming back to the heat and humidity doesn't help either. I'll try to take it easy and find a nice spot for a much needed rest, but if I won't, I think I will rush through things here and go to Thailand for some islands resting.

Today I'm looking around the city, in a very slow pace. I looked for a place to sit when I stumbled upon a beauty saloon. I didn't go for a manicure but I finally got my hair cut.

I took a two days tour to arrive to Cambodia. On the first day we saw some Mekong delta life. As it happens most of the time, watching the local lives from the boat was much interesting than the tourist oriented places we stopped where everything is oriented towards your wallet. On the first day we saw a floating market. After stopping for the night at Chau Doc, a Vietnamese town, we went the next day to see a floating village. Then we took a boat to the border, arranged our visas and took another boat and a bus to get to Phnom Penh. It was a long day.

No comments: