Friday, December 01, 2006

One night in Bangkok

Khao San Road at night

This morning I've added one hour and forty five minutes my time, about twenty degrees Celsius and something like 60% humidity. Insane! I was freezing in Nepal, craving for a hot shower, and here my first shower was cold.

We found a place to stay off the main tourist area but went back there as the sun disappeared. It is a madhouse! It looks like some student day festival, but probably every day. Eating in restaurants has just become unnecessary. The food at the stalls is delicious and fast. It is prepared in front of your eyes, so you can see exactly where it comes from. Take rice with sweet and sour vegetables with chicken, prepared in a wok, and it is even healthy. After eating this initial treat, it just became an eat-as-you-walk buffet. Only the night will tell of the consequences.

I am finally starting to feel Asia. The language sounds like what I'm used to from Chinese movies. Very different from Nepali. On the other hand, now I appreciate Nepalis' warmth, compared to what I've met so far (This is just the first day...). This place is also much more touristic, with totally different type of people around, and not for the best.

This post was a bit hasted as I am falling asleep and really wanted to write this down.

No comments: