Saturday, December 16, 2006

Crossing to Laos

Yesterday we (Christa and I) crossed the border to Laos. It was much quicker than I imagined. On the Thai border I said goodbye to my Thailand visa. Then we took a small boat across the Mekong river and after two minutes we were in Laos, in Huay Xai. After changing money I received 960000 kip for 100USD in bills of 10000kip. Too much notes to carry around.

Huay Xai is just two minutes by boat from Thailand, but totally different and yet the same. The road was being paved as we arrived. The houses are from plain wood and look very primitive. On the other hand, similarities exist both in food and language, which makes the transition not so hard. Back to the first hand, I realized I ate as if I'm in Thailand, not being careful about hygiene, which might be completely different.

I went to the Internet cafe in Huay Xai, the only one. The place had one computer connected with a dial-up modem...

No comments: