Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Game Over

I arrived two days ago back to Sydney, ending 2 months of travel in Australia, which are part of a total travel of 9 months (and 1 week) in a corner of the world. In that time I went through 7 countries (actually visiting 6), 5 out of 8 Australian states, more than 5 islands, with the help of 4 Lonely Planet guides (and another I didn't even open, just got it nicely soaked with water), 3.5 reading books, 1 camera which produced about 15GB of data, which are 8248 photos, 961 of them ended up on Flickr, 12 flights (out of them 7 domestic), 2 overnight train rides, almost endless bus rides, day and night, ferries and 1 rented car, who circled Tasmania for 1700km. My longest trek lasted 20 days, my longest tour 11, but the average was 3. I went rafting for 3 days, climbed 4 walls, visited the under water world 18 times, but mostly walked, a lot. I visited 2 doctors, 1 physiotherapist, had 3 colds and 0 traveler's diarrheas. But who counts, right?

This journey would not have been what it was without a lot of people. First, a huge community of travelers. A group of open-minded people who were willing to share the way the life in their countries really are, shading a different light than the stereotypes and TV and newspapers based knowledge I came with. Then there are the people I met from each country I visited, which added the spices and herbs to make each spot more than a collection of natural and artificial attractions. Finally the great group of people I left home (and around the world), my family and friends, who, though far far away, were always there to encourage, support, advise, help, criticize and comment.

If you'll be looking for me, I will be in Sydney for the next two months, trying to figure out what I'll be doing next without a backpack (and keep myself warm with those blasted cold waves). After that you might find me in Bangkok, maybe around Road Rambuttri, eating stir fried rice on the street, or maybe even at Haad Yao, Koh Phangan, reading a book and watching the sunset. Somewhere around the beginning of October, I'll head back home.

No comments: